Epson America, Inc. today introduced the FastFoto™ FF-640 high-speed photo scanning system poised to change the way people preserve and share the billions of photos tucked away in attics, basements, garages, and closets. An innovative alternative to flatbed scanners and costly third-party scan services, FastFoto can scan photos as fast as one photo per second1 and easily restores faded photos to their original color to share with family and friends via the cloud and on social media, like Facebook® and Instagram™.
“Whether it’s for a Throwback Thursday, a photo slideshow for graduation, a wedding, or another life event, before today, digitizing photographs with a flatbed scanner or scanning service has been a time consuming and expensive task,” said Larry Trevarthen, director, Commercial Printing and Scanning, Epson America, Inc. “Scanning shoeboxes of photos on a flatbed scanner can take hundreds of hours, and sending photos out to a scanning service is pricey and puts irreplaceable photos at risk of being lost or damaged. FastFoto offers a fast, easy and affordable solution for preserving a family’s legacy.”
Featuring a 30-photo auto feeder, FastFoto scans photos to a designated hard drive, and offers tools to support easy uploading to services such as Facebook, Dropbox® and Google Drive™ to share with family and friends anytime, anywhere. Unlike most scanning solutions, FastFoto scans both the front and back of photos and postcards in a single pass, capturing valuable dates and personal handwritten notes. Epson’s scanning software also features a unique naming system to organize photo collections with recognizable file and folder names, searchable metadata, and a capture date that aligns with the date of the photo, not the date the image was scanned.
“In the U.S. today, there are billions of un-scanned photos, and every year countless photos are lost to fires, floods and other natural disasters, making it important to protect and preserve your family’s memories. As a global leader in photo and document scanning, Epson was able to scale its advanced imaging technology into a high-performing yet affordable solution for millions of families across the country,” said Mike Isgrig, vice president, North America Consumer Sales and Marketing, Epson. “With FastFoto, families can protect their memories for generations to come in a matter of hours and days, versus months and years with competing solutions, at a fraction of the cost.”
FastFoto Photo Restoration and Editing Capabilities
FastFoto was custom-designed to handle all the details. With just one click, Smart Photo Fix (SPF) Technology automatically brings new life to old photos with color restoration for faded photos, red-eye reduction and auto enhancement features. The scanner is designed to handle precious memories with Dynamic Skew Correction (DSC) and a sophisticated multi-roller paper feed design to automatically correct the angle at which a photo or document enters the scanner. FastFoto also includes a special handling sheet to protect small, old, damaged, or fragile photos, while the Ultrasonic Sensor allows Double Feed Detection to help avoid missing any photos or mis-feeds, and Auto Size Detection makes it easy to scan multiple sizes in a single stack.
Beyond Scanning Photos
In addition to photos, the FastFoto scanning system is a powerful document scanner for children’s artwork, bills and invoices, or other home or business documents. Scanning as fast as 45 ppm/90 ipm2. FastFoto 640 Photo Scanner will scan documents to email, an online storage account, or any folder on your PC. FastFoto includes a TWAIN, is compatible with Windows and Mac OS and includes OCR software for creating searchable PDFs or scanning into editable formats like Word® and Excel® files. Features include:
• World’s Fastest Photo Scanner1 – scan thousands of photos as fast as one photo per second1 at 300 dpi
• High-Quality Scans – Scan images from wallet-sized to panoramic photos at up to 600 dpi
• Custom FastFoto Software – Bring new life to old photos automatically with Smart Photo Fix (SPF) Technology, red-eye reduction and color enhancement features
• Single-Step Technology – Single scan captures image and handwritten notes on the back
• Special Design – Special handling sheet, custom rollers and paper path to accommodate fragile photos
• Perfect Picture Imaging System – Epson’s proprietary image-processing technology optimizes image quality across printers, projectors and scanners
• Do More Than Just Photos – Scan and save documents and memorabilia; scan documents as fast as 45 ppm/90 ipm2
• Organize Documents – Includes Document Capture Pro to create searchable PDFs for easy retrieval and ABBYY® FineReader® to scan to editable files
• Ideal for Life’s Special Events – Easily create slideshows, displays and more for anniversaries, weddings and family reunions